How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a british citizen and going to marry my partner who

Customer Question

Hi i am a british citizen and going to marry my partner who is on a student visa which expires the end if this year. If i get a court marrige before her visa expires would she have to go back to her country or can i apply for ilr whilst she is here
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Getting married to you does not give a non EEA national automatic right to remain in the UK.
The person would need to apply for leave to remain as your spouse after marriage, she should do so before her student visa expires. After 5 years on a spouse visa, she may apply for ILR if you are still living together as a married couple.
Hope this helps