How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My wife would like to become a british citizen .she has been

Customer Question

my wife would like to become a british citizen .she has been married to me for twenty six years she has no wish to hold her american passport any more who do we contact
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Does your wife have indefinite leave to remain in her current passport?
When is her current US passport valid for?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes she has indefinate leave to stay in the uk with green card and letters from the home office

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Are you yourself a UK citizen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
She has to naturalise as a UK citizen before she can then apply for a UK passport.
If your wife has indefinite leave to remain and you are a UK citizen then she can apply for naturalisation provided that she meets the eligiblity requirements on the following page:
Note, in particular, the residential requirements contained at the second set of bullet points.
Here are details as to how she must apply:
Once she has applied and received her certificate of naturalisation she can got to a short citizenship ceremony and thereafter apply for her UK passport.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,