How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Am on a student visa here in the UK. I met a lady, British

This answer was rated:

am on a student visa here in the UK.
I met a lady, British born but now based in Australia since she was 9 years.
She visits the UK often and still has her extended family here.
She has no working records in the UK, no tax payments in the UK and no bank accounts.
We want to get married here in the UK but i need to know what i should do OR what she needs to do as well. And what documents we need to bring alone for submission to the HOME OFFICE for naturalisation process and every other necessary advice. thanks.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is it exactly that you wish to know - will you be moving to Australia with her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
after naturalisation here yes i intend to move to Australia with her
Do you mean you believe that you will automatically become eligible for British Citizenship if you marry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, i know it is a process and for a process there is a starting point. i need to know what i and she needs to do. thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have not gotten any response yet relating to my questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
am still expecting my answer because i will have not gotten and response
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi Clare,
i really need responses to my questions please. it can all be detailed to me in my email.
thanks for your assistance, hoping to seek for it again in the near future.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my email is***@******.***
HiMy apologies I have been in Court all afternoon somewhat unexpectedlyYour partner will have to show that she - (or other sponsors) have sufficient income or capital to support you whilst you are in the UKYou will then have Leave to remain for 30 months and will be able to work.After thirty months you can then apply for Indefinite Leave to remainOnce you have lived here for 36 months (leaving for no more than 270 days in total) you can apply for a UK passportYou can read more specifics here fact that your partner is not currently resident in the UK is a major problem and you will need to have another family member as the financial sponsor - unless of course sheis able to meet the capital requirementsPlease ask if you need any further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am a bit clear on your explanations but according to your line "partner willing to show-(or other family member)"- the other family member is it my family member or hers.
Again is she subjected to giving notice at a local registrar, see more at;, you mentioned 30 months. I would like to know the route that applies to as you can see from;
https://gov.UK/remain-in-uk-family/eligibilityLastly, if she can meet the financial requirements would need to live in the UK for some specific number of days, months or years and if she doesn't have the financial requirements and I can show that I can support myself. Will it be possible to proceed.
Best regards.
You need a financial sponsor - if your partner cannot fulfil the requirement then one of her family may be able to do soYour partner will indeed have to give notice if you intend to marry - everyone has toI have given you the details of the route you refer to - your partner will need to live with you for the majority of the time - or at least it must be clear that there is an ongoing close relationship - so you will have to spend time with each other each year - if you wish to succeedClare
Clare and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you