How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am a british subject , born in scotland with passport and

Customer Question

i am a british subject , born in scotland with passport and so on . how do i go about moving back , from canada , to my home
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If you have a British Passport, you get on a plane and return. What is your specific concern?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
your answer was incredibly trite........ . how long do i have to be in scotland to qualify for the national health ? how do i prove i am there to stay ? what documents etc do i take with me ? how do i go about getting an nhs card ? how do i [ or do i ?] register with the local council ? how do i go about moving / taking money with me ? do i set up a bank account before i go ? and if so how much can i put in an account ? how will money i take with me me be treated tax wise ? when can i apply for housing [ if at all ] ? i am bisabled , how may this affect me ? what can i do from canada to save time and travel in scotland ? i am not going on vacation , i am changing my life and these are a few of my SPECIFIC CONCERNS .
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. To qualify for the NHS, you have to be resident in Scotland. Normally, the NHS service interpret this that if you have been living in the UK for three months then you are entitled to a NHS card and free medical care. However, I would advise you to continue any private medical health insurance for the first six months in the UK to be safe, or for at least three months. If you previously paid tax in the UK and made national insurance contributions, then the period can be foreshortened to six weeks. Secondly, you don't have to actually bring any documents with you when you return. Merely your passport and a copy of your Birth Certificate and any National Insurance number you might have. Thirdly, you only need to register with your local Council should you wish to avail of their services, such as getting a Council house, or apply for their disability programmes. Be aware that there is often a waiting period for Council housing, particularly old person dwellings. As regards ***** ***** programmes, once you are resident in Scotland again, you will be entitled to avail of all the Social Services. Here again, it is three months if you haven't previously paid taxes in the UK but six weeks is sufficient for residence if you previously paid tax and paid NI contributions.2. Be aware that as a UK citizen, you will be entitled to claim a non contributory old age pension once you are resident in the UK. This is not dependent upon having worked in the UK. However, if you previously paid what were known as "stamps" these might entitle you to a contributory old age pension. Here is a link to the State Pension Calculator A bank account can be set up once you are in the UK and have a permanent address there. Be aware that a bank will want a utility bill from that address before it will set up the account or some record of you living at that address. Credit facilities will also be granted. It might be difficult to set up a bank account from Canada as this would be a non resident account, whilst one you set up when in the UK WILL be a resident account. There are no exchange regulations in place between the UK And Canada. So, provided there was tax paid on the money in Canada, there will be no difficulty in transferring money from Canada to the UK. Additionally, there will be no taxes on money remitted from Canada to the UK by you. 4. If you have any further specific concerns, I will be happy to help further. Best wishes with the move.