How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

1- i got married on the 22/11/2012 in with a british citizen

Customer Question

1- i got married on the 22/11/2012 in with a british citizen in Algeria and i came to leave here on the 08/07/2013 as i have been granted a spouse visa valid from the 04/06/2013 to 04/03/2016, what next to do now do have to apply for an extension of another 30 months and then apply for the ILR or does the new low apply on my case (10 years route) as i came here before that this law came out?
2- first time when i did my visa application my wife was my sponsor an as she gets carers allowance i was exempted from the financial requirement would that be the same for the next application as i couldn't work for a long time the last 2 years as i was studying to become a gas safe registered engineer?
3- Im i eligible to apply for the naturalization after 03 years of living with my British wife as the low on the it doesn't mention any changes?
thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Firstly, on your visa extension, the minimum income requirement of £18,600 does not apply where the sponsor (your wife) is in receipt of Carer's Allowance. So, if your wife is in receipt of Carer's Allowance as of the date of your application to extend your spousal visa, then the minimum income requirements do not apply. So it makes no difference in those circumstances that you are not earning much.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Secondly, the law hasn't changed in relation to naturalisation for you. AFter three years living in the UK, you can apply for naturalisation and citizenship. I don't know where you are getting a 10 year rule from, but this does not apply to you. Accordingly, if you get an extension, then after another six months or three years in total, you can apply for citizenship. Then your visa worried are over.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
3. However, at this stage, you simply need to apply to extend your spousal visa. A new extension would apply for another 30 months.