How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

HiI'm a British Citizen, my husband was granted an ILE

Customer Question

Hi I'm a British Citizen, my husband was granted an ILE in 2010 with an expiry date of 2013. He entered in 2011 and has settled in the UK with myself ever since. We were informed by the UK Border Agency and Airport Immigration Officers that an ILE is the same as an ILR. We were told that he would not need to change / transfer the ILE to an ILR due to them being the same. He therefore carries his old passport with this visa ILE together with his new passport when we enter / exit the UK, as advised by an immigration officer (no problems to date!). However, my questions is, can he apply for British Citizenship now? I'm concerned that we have been advised incorrectly and that he can only apply for citizenship once he has transferred to an ILR. Althought his can't be right if the ILE is the same as an ILR and he qualifies under the residency requirements!! Please help? Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would prefer it if you refund me. If you are unable to answer this question I can find an expert independently.

Please do so with immediate effect, thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please refund me. It has been days since I asked a question.

I can find an 'expert' independently.

Please confirm details of refund.

Thank you!