How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Background brief: I'm an indigenous Brit; married (in China)

This answer was rated:

Background brief: I'm an indigenous Brit; married (in China) to a Chinese girl - 7 good years already.. I'm now resident back in UK. My wife currently has an ongoing 10-year Family visa (as she is now related to my 3 brothers and my 3 kids) so usually
makes a yearly visit to UK. My understanding of current UK legislation is that my wife must be 5 years in the UK (with allowance for regular visits to family in China). However, she also has a business in China (teaching oral English to local Chinese students
(- and one she wanted to do in UK also but was refused the appropriate visa) and would like to make more frequent visits / longer stay in China (for the foreseeable imminent future). Question: With the influx of refugees (legitimate or otherwise) and the apparent
(according to press readings) frantic issuing of British passports to many; Can my wife legitimately obtain a British passport? Or some other British document that will allow frequent travel in and out of UK without the need of regular visa application? Incidentally,
it took me around 5 years before I could get her a 10-years visa because (as stated by the Shanghai Consulate) it was not policy to issue 10-year visa to a Chinese national - a statement I was able to finally put to bed with an enquiry direct to the FO
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.Why has she not applied for a Spouse Visa which would allow her to work in the UK?(and do not believe all you read in the press)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Quick response
From memory, I cannot recall seeing an option for a Spouse visa.
I will now check that out.
No. I don't believe all |I read in the press, but you know what they say about "no smoke without fire"
The details are here assuming that you can between you manage the financial requirements and your wife the language one then it is the best way forward - although there is still a five year wait until she can apply for a British PassportI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
My wife & I have been together since 2003 with the last 5 years+ married
And she only talks to me in English! So I still cannot speak Chinese.
It looks like the Governments' intense concentration on its immigration problems, it has completely overshadowed bona fida cases.
Thank you again for your help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife's latest "C-Family Visit" visa was issued in Shanghai 19/May/2015, valid to 19/May/2024 with "no work or recourse to public funds".
She says she submitted to full biometric requirements -> digital photo, fingerprints, signature.
Should she have been provided with a Biometric Residence Permit?
Even though it's a provision for working in the UK, but her visa states otherwise, I believe it greatly assists when passing through UK immigration.
Thank you
Biometric evidence is a mandatory requirement these days and when she does get a Visa that allows her to work then her permit will be issued
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So BRP is applied for all visa applications, but only applies if the visa allows for working in the UK. Correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correction: So BRP is applied for all visa applications, but only issued if the visa allows for working in the UK. Correct?
That is correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare,
Thank you very much for your help
You are most welcome I hope all goes well