How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 10954
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My wife is a Canadian citizen although she has lived in the

Customer Question

My wife is a Canadian citizen although she has lived in the UK for over 40 years (she has a certificate of residency), can she apply for a British Passport or does she first have to apply for citizenship?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. A Canadian citizen with a permanent residency certificate must first apply for British citizenship before she can get a passport. Unless she is an actual British citizen, she cannot apply for a passport, I regret to say. Commonwealth citizens, such as Canadian citizens, have no right to a British passport unless they become citizens.