How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7942
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a UK national planning to marry an American citizen.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a UK national planning to marry an American citizen. I need to know if he can enter the UK as a tourist and then get married. If so, is there a time limit before we do this?
Also, what is the usual time frame of the marriage visa process and can my partner work as soon as this is granted?
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.He should not enter under a visit visa in order to marry you unfortunately, it’s a bit more complicated than that.If your partner intended to enter the UK, marry you and then remain permanently afterwards with you (including work) without leaving the UK then he would have to apply for a fiancé visa You can apply for a fiance visa so that she can come here specifically for the purpose of marrying. Once married you would then have to apply for a spouses visa (settlement – Further Leave To Remain). Two applications, two application fees. Here is the criteria you would need to fulfill for a fiance visa, as I say the criteria is largely the same for a spouses visa. If you meet this you will almost certainly not be refused a spouses visa:- You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving hereYou plan to live permanently together hereYou have met each otherYou can support each other without the need for public fundsYou have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public fundsMeet the financial requirement (salary threshold): You have to produce to the Home Office documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-{C}· If you are to apply for a fiancé visa you will have to show evidence of your intention to marry, so things like purchase of a ring, evidence of having met (photos correspondence etc), booking of a wedding venue, evidence of invites etc.{C}· Bank statements from both you and your fiance going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available{C}· Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment{C}· Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds){C}· Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport{C}· Evidence of correspondence between you and your fiance showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records{C}· Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. They key to a successful application is producing well-collated documentary evidence for the above criteria. You will also have to produce statements made by both of you explaining and supporting how you meet the eligibility criteria. He will need to apply for fiance/spouses visa using form VAF4. Generally, I’ve found that persons considering applying for fiancé visas are surprised by the documentary requirements and complicated nature of the application preparation. I would strongly instructing a immigration solicitor based here in the UK to prepare an application for him. You can find local solicitors via:- It should cost around £1000-1500+ VAT. It will save you money in the long run, in all probability. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** make any difference if we get married in the states or in another country first? I'm visiting there in January, the reason I need him here asap is because I'm pregnant, due in May and I'm worried the visa might not come through in time.Thanks, Loryn