How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

A friend of mine is a US Citizen. In 2005 she married a British

This answer was rated:

A friend of mine is a US Citizen. In 2005 she married a British Citizen and was awarded right of abode in the UK. She then applied for British naturalization, which she was granted. She was therefore under the assumption that her forms were correctly filled in and her dual citizenship was awarded and legal. She has subsequently divorced the UK citizen and moved back to the US. She was recently offered a job in the UK, which she accepted based on the assumption that she was able to work here with her dual citizenship. However, when her details were being checked, the error was brought up and she has been told she has no right to live/work in the UK as her dual citizenship isn't valid. She has been told she can appeal the decision at the British Consulate in the USA. Is there anything else she is able to do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've not had an answer to this question - it's been more than a day.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nicola,I would like to continue waiting for an answer, thank you for the update.Kind Regards,
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Once she was naturalised as a British Citizen, the fact that she later divorced her UK citizen spouse does not have any relevance. She remains a British Citizen.
The British consulate cannot do anything about this as it is dealt with by the Home Office in the UK, so I suggest that she enters the UK with her US passport and then contacts the Home Office to sort the matter out.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information. I believe the issue with this is that she applied for naturalization too soon after being granted indefinite leave to remain. She was told that she should have waited for 5 years after being granted ILR before applying, but wasn't told this at the time of her application, and the application was processed and approved. She's been told she is able to appeal, but is there any extra information or avenues to pursue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you please provide an answer on this with the above additional information?
As long as she had lived in the UK for at least 3 years, she could immediately apply for British Citizenship on the date she received ILR. There is no requirement to wait for 5 years and her British Citizenship remains valid even though she subsequently got divorced.
She may ask the Home Office to confirm her British nationality if she does not have a current British passport.
The application process is explained here
All the best, ***** ***** feedback
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you