How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7922
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Thomas, I'm getting divorced at the moment. My spouse is a Nigerian citizen an

This answer was rated:

Hi Thomas,
I'm getting divorced at the moment. My spouse is a Nigerian citizen and holds a residence permit because he's married to me (I am Portuguese and have British citizenship too).
We got married 2 years ago, but we have initiated the divorce process in September 2015 after being separated many months.
Should I inform the Home Office? Or is the family court responsible for doing that?
If i need to inform the Home Office, do you know where exactly i need to write to?
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The contacts directory is not very good for the home office. However, I would suggest that you call the number on the following page:
If is for EEA nationals from outside the UK but they should be able to refer you to the correct department who will then give you the address for who you need to write to.
The family court is different to the home office and they will not advise the home office that you are divorcing, this is for you to do.
Once you have been given the correct address you will need to provide your full name/address and that of your husband. You will need to advise them that you consider the relationship has irretrievably broken down and that you are no long in a loving married relationship. You should also give the details of the divorce proceedings, including the court in which the proceedings have commenced and the stage reached.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom,thanks for your quick reply. This is really helpful.Kind regards
Hi Fatima,
Thank you. Please do remember to leave feedback.
Good luck
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave feedback.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you