How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My Italian boyfriend lives (rents) and works in the UK. I am

Customer Question

My Italian boyfriend lives (rents) and works in the UK. I am an American citizen. Our goal is for us to both be able to live and work in the UK. In the event I cannot get a work visa, what are my options for getting the equivalent of a US green card (I understand it is called "Indefinite Leave to Remain")?
First, can I marry an Italian citizen and get to stay in the UK? Does his nationality affect anything?
Please help me understand the process, timeline and fees associated with:
1. Going to the UK on a tourist visa and getting married while in the UK. What happens then...
2. Going to the UK on a finance visa...
3. Other options I'm not aware of.
Thank you, ***** ***** your time and expertise. We've been dating long distance for almost a year and I'm so emotionally exhausted. Clearly understanding all the options will help us make the smartest decisions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Have you lived together in the same accommodation for any length of time? Please state how long, if so..
Kind regards,