How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a British citizen married to Ethiopian who resides in

This answer was rated:

i am a British citizen married to Ethiopian who resides in Ethiopia. i would like to apply a citizenship for my husband. what are the options available for us if i am not currently residing in the uk?
Hi, Do you mean that your husband has not lived in the UK on a spouse visa yet?Kind regardsTom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no he hasn't. we got married in may 2014 in Ethiopia and lived with him for about 6 months in Ethiopia and managed to get him a family visit visa to travel to the UK with me for a month trip.
Do you and your husband plan on returning to the UK to live here permanently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
eventually but not anytime soon. we would just like his status to be flexible, if we need to come back to the uk, in case of emergency. the issue of visa is a long process so we are looking for options available for us?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The only way that he could become eligible for UK citizenship is by applying for a spouse visa and returning to the UK with you and living here for 5 years. He would then have to apply for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years and then apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen.
The webpage on spouse visas is here:
This is the only way to get citizenship in your circumstances, so if you are not planning on coming to live her permanently for a while then you will have to put his citizenship on hold.
If you wish for him to have flexibility in entering/leaving the UK then he should apply for a visit visa but on a multi entry basis. This is where the visit visa is granted for 1, 2,5 or 10 years and it means that he could enter/leave as many times as he liked within the visa period but subject to the condition that he must not spend more then 6 months out of any 12 month period in the UK.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.
Please remember to leave feedback though.