How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 10949
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

There I am a naturalised British (naturalised in 2007)

Customer Question

Hi there
I am a naturalised British (naturalised in 2007) who is originally from Taiwan, and I married a Taiwanese national back on the 31st of Oct, 2008 and she moved over to the UK with a Spouse Visa which was valid for 2 and half years. She then left the UK and returned back to Taiwan in January 2011 and proposed a divorce which I accepted. I went back to Taiwan in April 2011 and signed the divorce agreement issued by the local court and Household Registry (equivalent to Local Council here).
My family and her family are both in Taiwan and I still visit Taiwan regularly.
I would like to know if the divorce is valid in the UK?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Yes, the divorce is valid according to UK law. Essentially, in order for a UK court to recognise a foreign divorce, it must be valid according to the place where the divorce occurred and jurisdiction must have been validly assumed by that court. Here, as your wife, was validly resident in Taiwan at the time of the divorce, jurisdiction to divorce was validly obtained. So a divorce obtained there will be recognised in the UK.