How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am trying to work out the correct visa to apply my

This answer was rated:

I am trying to work out the correct visa to apply for for my husband. I am a British National. My husband is a Japanese National.
He has been in the UK for 2 1/2 years on a Spouse visa. The visa runs out in June 2016. We intend to stay in the UK.
We both have permanent jobs and make above the required salary stipulation. We have no children. We own 30% of our home in London (on the Government Shared Ownership scheme) with a mortgage. We have no debt.
We would like to apply for a visa that has a long life on it but since the rules changed, we are struggling to find the one that is appropriate for us.
Any help would me much appreciated.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If it is the case that your husband applied after July 2012 for a spouse visa then you must first extend his current visas by applying for an extension by submitting Form FLR(M).
Subject to you meeting the eligibility criteria ( he will be granted a further 24 months visa. At the end of this extended visa he can apply for indefinite leave to remain. Indefinite leave to remain is the right to remain permanently in the UK without having to apply for any more visas. This should be your ultimate goal and this is what almost all persons on spouse visas do.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the advice. We did apply for the Spouse visa after July 2012. I will complete the FLR(M) form now. Can I confirm, if we apply now, the extension wouldn't start until our current visa has run out (In June)?
You should not apply now if his visas does not run out until June. You should apply about 28 days before your current visa expires. His applicaiton would not be considered at the moment because he still has so much time on his visas.
Please do remember to leave feedback.
Thomas and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thomas,I'm not sure whether it is possible to ask you further questions afer our conversation yesterday but I thought I would give it a go!I wanted to confirm some things with you:1. Are bank statements from both myself and my husband for 6 months before the application date the right financial evidence?
2. The 'proof of our relationship' documents must be 6 examples of us living at the same address. We do not have multiple documents addressed to both of us so have taken the second option of providing 6 examples for each of us delivered to our address. However, some of these examples still have my unmarried name on them as I've not switched them over. Does this mean that they won't be counted?Many thanks,Avalyn
Hi Avalyn
I'm afraid that if you require specific advice on the documents to be submitted with your application then you would have to instruct a solicitor locally in the normal way in order to give your precise instructions/circumstances to..
I am sorry.