How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7674
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have an issue with my tier 2 dependent visa. The relationship

This answer was rated:

I have an issue with my tier 2 dependent visa. The relationship with my sponsor has broken down and I need advice on how I can remain in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a mother who has settled here (she has had ILR for 2 years or so and is applying for citizenship at the moment) and a half sister and half brother who are both English citizens. I am self employed and can support myself in the UK and don't draw public funds. I am also enrolled at the Open University studying a degree part time which I am paying for myself. My partner is interested in supporting me staying in the UK. We still live together, and have no children.
Can you please confirm that you are currently a dependent of your partner?
Do you work?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can confirm that. I am on a dependent visa attached to my partner's tier 2 visa - he works for a UK company. I work myself, and can support myself.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Unfortunately, if you do not have any children then you cannot apply on the basis of family even though you have extended family in the UK.
The fact that your ex-spouse may be willing to support you also does not assist in terms of securing you own visa.
This means that your options are very limited. Essentially, unless you have access to £200, 000.00 for investment in a Uk business that you would run, your options are as follows:
Tier 4 visa – you would probably have to switch to another course which is full time to apply for this visa and also meet the other eligibility criteria:
Tier 2- You would have to obtain a job offer from a licenced sponsor in order to become the main application of a tier 2 sponsored skilled worker visa and meet all the eligibility criteria
In both cases you would have to leave the UK to make the application because you are a dependent and this is applied very strictly by the home office.
I really am sorry the options are slim and you have my sympathies.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I have just one more question though. What is the process involved to inform UKBA? If we notify them of the breakdown in relationship, what happens next? Does my partner have to officially notify them or is my visa valid until we have informed them of the breakdown of the relationship?Thank you again.
Thanks for your question.
Usually, your partner would write to them to advise of the breakdown in the marriage. They would then write to you to advise that they have curtailed your visa and give you a period of time 28 days to leave the uK.
So, if your partner is stil amicable with you then you may consider asking for some breathing time to consider your options.
It's not nice, I am sorry.
Please do remember to leave feedback though..
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help!