How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

We are dutch nationals and living here in london

This answer was rated:

We are dutch nationals and living here in london for 2 years.
our son is born in 18/10/2015.we would like to know if we can apply for a british nationality?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Your son does not qualify for UK citizenship yet, but he may do in the future.
This is because you are not regarded as being “settled” in the UK, which means holding “permanent residence”. You and your wife can apply for PR after you have worked in the UK for 5 years. You will then be regarded as “settled” in the UK,
Once you have PR you can apply for a UK passport/citizenship for your child by applying under s1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981:
This is where a child becomes entitled to UK citizenship where their parents were not settled at the time of the child’s birth but have since become settled.
So, basically, in three years time you will be able to apply for your child’s passport.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you