How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a uk citizen by birth, i am married to a polish citizen

This answer was rated:

I am a uk citizen by birth, i am married to a polish citizen for 19 years. we have two children both born in the uk. we have lived in the UK all that time. my wife got indefinite leave to remain in the UK the year we were married. are there ANY circumstances where my wife would be forced to leave the country.
Thanks for your patience.
Basically, there no chance that she would be deported.
The home office could only legally attempt to deport her if they cloud prove that she obtained indefinite leave to remain/permanent residence by deceptive means. That would mean that they would have to show that your marriage is a sham marriage and that you were only married for the purpose of obtaining her immigration status.
So, if your marriage is genuine then they would never take any action.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does that situation remain the case if we were to separate/divorce in the future, baring in mind we have been together for 19 years in a legitimate (not sham) marriage.
Yes, it remains the case if you were to divorce. The length of your marriage clearly evidences that the marriage is genuine.
If you've been married that length of time there is no chance whatsoever that they would take any action to revoke her Permanent Residence.
PLease do remember to leave feedback.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks, ***** ***** what I was convinced of, however my wife seems to have it in her mind that she would lose her full rights as a British resident somehow, particularly in the event of the uk leaving the eu and is thinks that we need to spend £1000 for her to get British citizenship.
Well, it's not know what would happen precisely if the UK were to leave the EEA.
However, the better view would be that there would be transition arrangements after it would be announced. These would likely allow EEA nationals like your wife in the UK already a period of time within which to apply for citizenship.
So, keep your eye on the news if it appears that the UK will leave the EEA and then naturalise then.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome