How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My granddaughter was born in the USA and came to the UK

This answer was rated:

Hi , my granddaughter was born in the USA and came to the UK when she was two months old , my son in a British citizen as are both her UK grandparents , his partner is USA citizen who has now gone back to the states leaving my son with the baby , does my granddaughter have the right to remain in the UK given she has no other dependants in USA ? How do we obtain British Passport for her ?
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.Assuming that your son is named as the father on the Birth Certificate then your granddaughter is entitled to a UK passport and a British Citizen by descent and has the right to live in the UK.In the far future she needs to be aware that she can only pass on her British Citizenship if her child in born in the UKI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks , how does he go about applying for a British passport ? Does the immigration status not need ratified before a passport application can be submitted .
Just to check - was your son born in the Uk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes . He has a British passport .
Then the passport can be applied for on that basis
Clare and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you