How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am British citizen from 2006. My mum arrived to stay and

Customer Question

I am British citizen from 2006. My mum arrived to stay and live with me from Bulgaria on 12/08/2015, because she was diagnosed and operated in Bulgaria with brest canser and was not able to look after herself.She will stay forgood with me. My question is: is she alowed to became a british resident? I am asking for that only, because I want to make an insuranse with Sunlife and they accept only resident from UK , which is understandable. But how to solve the problem with my mum? If something happen I want to make sure I have done the rigth things.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
As an EEA national, your mum is free to reside in the UK for more than 3 months as a self sufficient person and she must hold comprehensive sickness cover while she resides in the UK.
The exact requirements are as follows
The EEA national must be able to show evidence that they have sufficient resources not to become a burden on the social assistance system and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover. There is no fixed amount that is regarded as ‘sufficient resources’. The personal situation of each applicant must be taken into account.
So, if your mother has comprehensive sickness cover and sufficient savings or income of her own, she is free to reside in the UK with you.
Hope this helps