How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7691
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am an EU citizen settled in the UK. My unmarried partner

This answer was rated:

I am an EU citizen settled in the UK. My unmarried partner (since September 2015) is a Singapore citizen. What is the most appropriate visa for her to be able to join me and live and work in the UK?
Thanks for your question.
Do you mean that you have only been in a relationship since September 2015?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If you are an EEA member state national then she will have to obtain an EEA family permit first. The problem is that in order to be regarded as unmarried partners you would have to have been living together for a period of two years in order to apply.
This means that you would have to marry in order for her to apply under the EEA rules. If you were to marry outside of the Uk then she could apply for a family permit:
Once she has come to the UK on her family permit she will be eligible to apply to the UKBA for a residence card which confirms her right of residence in the UK on the basis of your marriage:-
It will either take the form of an endorsement in her passport or as a separate immigration status documents confirming her right to reside here for 5 years.
At the end of this time she will be able to apply for a Permanent Residence here if she wishes and has not spent significant time outside the UK.
If you are not wiling to marry her to do this then she would have to apply independently of her relationship with you. If she intended to work rather than study and did not have access to £200, 000.00 for the purpose of investing in UK business then the options would be:
1. Tier 2 sponsored skilled worker visa:
2. Tier 1 exceptional talent visa:
I am sorry the options are thin.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom,Thanks for this. Few more questions related to this.
How is the living together for a period of two years criterium proven?
Could we also marry in the UK?
Would a student visa which would entitle her to part-time work be an option?Thanks,
It would be proven by documentary evidence. Bank statements, rent agreements, utility bills all in your joint names over the requisite 2 year period.
You could marry in the UK but she would have to apply for a marriage visit visa (not easy) and would have to return to her home country in order to apply for her family permit.
Yes, provided the course was full time she would be able to work but for no more than 20 hours per week.
Please do remember to leave feedback.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do we prove that we have been staying together for 2 yrs if we don't rent or own the house and we have people (e.g. family) sponsoring accommodation?
does the marriage have to happen in poland or singapore?Thanks,
That is my point, if you have not been in a relationship for a long time then marriage is your only option at this point.
It can be in either Singapore or Poland. It doesn't matter as long as you are legally married.
Please remember to leave feedback.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you