How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 766
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

My boyfriend is in the UK doing a PhD on a Tier 4 visa which

Customer Question

My boyfriend is in the UK doing a PhD on a Tier 4 visa which runs until January 2017. We would like to get married in the next year or so. What do we need to do in order to get a marriage visa? Do I need to be earning £18k or more? Could my parents act as sponsor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 2 years ago.
Applicants making a family-based application under Appendix FM must satisfy the financial requirement unless exempt. If you have no dependant child, the minimum income threshold that must be met is £18600. Income from 3rd party will not be counted.
I hope this clarifies your enquiry.
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 2 years ago.
Could you please click on the rate button
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you confirm if the £18600 needs to be from one party or joint between the couple?
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 2 years ago.
If you are the British partner, you are regarded as the sponsor and £18,600 would be the sponsor's annual gross income unless you have a savings of £62,500.
This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.