How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 843
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I am french and have been in the UK than 5 years.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am french and have been in the UK for more than 5 years. Shall I get a registration certificate for my permanent residency? Will that protect my right to stay in the UK if the Uk leaves the EU?
Thank you for your enquiry.
All EEA citizens enjoy what is called an initial right of residence usually for 3 months. To extend the right of residence after that period, an EEA citizen may apply as a qualified person for a registration certificate only if the EEA national is a qualified person. An EEA national is a qualified person when they are in the UK as a worker, a self employed person, a self sufficient person, a student or a job seeker. A registration certificate is not essential as it merely evidences the right and does not create it.
How the rights of all EEA citizens in the UK would be affected if the UK leaves the UK remains unclear at this time.
I hope this clarifies your question.
frantzgregory and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you