How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7675
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have an Australian passport with the stamp giving me leave

This answer was rated:

I have an Australian passport with the stamp giving me leave to keep entering the UK. This passport has expired I have a new Australian one but they won't renew that stamp and I have to carry my old one around. I have Australian nationality but not British even though I have lived here for most of my life. My mother and my 4 children and three brothers are all British. So many scary stories around re Nationality and immigration. I wonder what I can do to regularise my situation - give me residence- apart from applying for British nationality Thank you
Thanks for your question.
Does your passport say that you have "indefinite leave to enter/remain" in the UK?
If not, what precisely does it say?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says" Given leave to enter the United Kingdom for an indefinite period"
Thanks. I should be abke to answer at 945am..
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The only way that you can get around travelling with your old passport as well as your new one other than by naturalising is by applying for a “No Time Limit” application .
This is for someone who already has indefinite leave to enter and it updates your status to indefinite leave to remain. This would be noted on small biometric residence card which you could carry in your wallet and should solve your problems.
Information on how you can apply is contained here:
This is the only alternative to applying for naturalisation, but you should not that you will be without your passports when you apply for a period of time until the application is decided because you will have to send them with the application.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is useful information Tom. I am aware of a lot of the issues around immigration now and how scary it seems to be getting. Aware of the case of Myrtle the very elderly South African woman who is being returned to SA, even though her daughter has citizenship and cares for her.I 'm worried that I might slip through the net in a similar way. Last time I enterered with New passport they just repeated the same stamp. This time they won't, but could give me no advice as to how to proceed. Interesting that " given leave to enter for an indefinite period" does not give leave to Apassport earlier than this I had around 1970 I "a right to remain" kind of endorsement. I think it suddenly changed around 1979 -ish. But I though it was ok. What could happen if I don't do as you suggest?Is it as serious as we are given to believe?
If you have a spouse and children here then the chances of your facing deportation are very remote.
If you make a no-time-limit application and receive your biometric residence card stating you have indefinite leave to remain then you chances of being deported are nil.
Please remember to leave feedback.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you