How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Madam, I am currently living in UK. Originally

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am currently living in UK. Originally I am from Poland and I moved to England almost 2,5 years ago. In September 2014 I met my current boyfriend who is from India and was working here on contract. Unfortunately when his project finished in beginning of November, he had to go back to India. We can't imagine life without each other and we would like to start our life together as a husband and wife very soon and live in UK as I have here my studies and work. I was wondering if you could tell me what would be the process required for us to get married and settle here in UK. If he would be able to get work permit and what formalities we would have to sort out.
Thank you in advance,
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Provided you are exercising your treaty rights here by working/studying then it will be fairly straight forward.
He can either come here on a marriage visit visa ( If you marry here then he will have to return home and then make his application for an EEA family permit.
Alternatively you can marry outside of the UK and then he can apply directly for an EEA family permit:
Once he has his family permit he can come to the UK and reside here as your spouse.
Once in the UK he will have to apply for an EEA residence card on the basis that he is married to an EEA national. This is how to apply for a residence card:
The residence card is proof of his right to be in the UK and is stated to last for 5 years provided that he is married to you. At the end of this time he can apply for permanent residence, which is the right to stay permanently in the UK without making an further applications to the home office:
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for you answer. I have couple more questions. What documents we will need to provide to get married? How we should prove that our relationship is genuine? And I was wondering what are the funds required, if I have to reach certain amount of earnings to be able to get married with him?Joanna
It depends on where you marry.
If in the UK, your regsitrar would inform you when you book an intial appointment to meet them.
If outside the UK, you would have to speak to a family lawyer or registrar in that country to determine the precise documents.
You would prove your marriage is genuine by submitting photos, text messages, sworn, personal statements, email, basically anything which shows you are in a normal loving relationship.
There is no income threshold if you are an EEA citizen.
Please remember to leave feedback.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have just final 2 questions, in respect to your experience what kind of challenges we can meet during process of getting married and as well if we would get married in Poland should he apply for EEA family visa in Poland or what is the requirement?
Marrying abroad can be tricky, which is the biggest challenge so you should certainly take advice from a lawyer in the country that you will marry in
He mus apply from the country in which he is ordinarily resident which sounds like it would be India.