frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

My daughter has just had her British citizenship refused. She

Customer Question

My daughter has just had her British citizenship refused. She has a South African passport and has been on an ancestral visa but that has expired so she is required to leave Britain immediately. She owns a house,has been there for 10 years, has a job. As a member of the commonwealth does she have right of abode. She was born in Zimbabwe in 1987 and then went on a SA passport through her dad. Her dad has just passed away. I am the sole parent and am a British citizen because my parents were Scottish.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your enquiry. Please don't forget to click rate before you leave.
Could you give a bit more information on why the Home Office refused her application?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They said that she did not have enough points. She works at a Chiropractors Clinic as a Sports Massage/Physio/re- habilitation coach sand receives different wages depending on her clients but her finances are sufficient to live well.
If your daughter was applying for permanent residency and she is in the UK on an ancestry visa, the requirements are:
1. She has been living and working in the UK for 5 years
2. She has spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months of the last 5 years.
3. She has passed the life in the UK test and knowledge of English.
So it is a bit bizarre that the reason given was because of lack of enough points. Can you clarify from your daughter exactly what her visa situation is so that I can assist her properly.
**********************************************************************
This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in Thailand at the moment so the time difference is awkward. She seems to have completed those steps. I can only think it is because she holds a SA passport and I think there are some new rules and also I know she kept phoning them because she wanted her passport desperately so she could come to her dad's funeral. Maybe she bothered them too much but I would have thought they would be professional enough to do the right thing. Thanks Anne
I understand.