How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am on a spouse dependant visa and my relationship has broken

This answer was rated:

I am on a spouse dependant visa and my relationship has broken down. I am thinking of making a new application on a 10yr parent route as my kids have got british passport and living with me. Any advice how to go about that?
How long have you been in the UK and did you face domestic violence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i hAve been in the UK for over 9years now (lawfully). Yes,there has been domestic violence but there is no proof for that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what type of application can I make with the current situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how long to answer pls
I would advise you to apply for settlement under the long residency rules on the basis of 10 years lawful residency here. You may apply 28 days before you complete the 10 years.
You are not far from the 10 year mark (less 28 days) and you should try and ensure that your current visa is not revoked before you hit the 10 year mark and you should if possible try and keep on good terms with your partner until then.
May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is the problem, I cant trust him that he will not report to the home office that our relationship has broken down. I dont want to be cut unaware and dont want to take any chances either. I might want to travel out of the country and wouldnt want a situation whereby i will be refused entry if he has alerted them. That is why i want to know what application i can put it (5yr parent route or 10yr parent route). Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is the difference between the 5yrs parent route and 10yrs patent route? Also, what are the requirements for the 5yrs and 10yrs route
Thank you.
The difference between the 5 and 10 year routes is that for the 5 years route, you are granted 2 sets of 30 months leave and you meet the financial and english language requirements, in addition to being a parent etc etc. after 5 years, you may apply for indefinite leave to remain.
In the 10 year route, you are granted 4 sets of 30 months leave to remain after which you qualify for indefinite leave to remain.
In your case, you may apply for leave under the 5 year route if you are not on benefits and meet the English language requirement.
However, you may apply for ILR on the basis of 10 years long residency as advised earlier and you may combine your leave as a parent with your previous leave.
All the best