How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I am an Italian Citizen permanently living in the UK since

Customer Question

I am an Italian Citizen permanently living in the UK since Feb. 2003. I'd like to apply for naturalisation and British Passport but I have read the AN booklet and I am under the impression I need to apply also for a PR permit which can take up to a year to be issued. I have already done my Life in The UK test last week and the B1 level English test. I'm divorcing a British National to whom I have been married for 11 years until now (decree nisi Jan 2016 and absolute pending). Do I still have to apply for a PR permit? Will my test expire in the meantime? Also, Doesn't the fact the I have been working and paying taxes in the UK for 13 years qualify as permanent residency?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you for your enquiry.You are also required to evidence permanent residency after 5 years by applying for a document certifying permanent residency. It does not take a year to as a rule to be issued permanent residency. Your test once done, can be used at a later date. There isn't an expiry date on the Life in the UK test. The evidence of being in the UK including as a worker and paying taxes should form part of your application for permanent residency. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.