How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My Grandfather on my mother's side was born in and was a citizen

This answer was rated:

My Grandfather on my mother's side was born in and was a citizen of Scotland before immigrating to Canada. Would I be eligible to apply for a British Passport?
Kevin Sands
HiThanks for your patienceWhere and when were you and your mother born please?Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thomas,I was born in Canada as was my mother (Norah Mary Margaret MacDonald). My grandmother (my mother's mom) was born in India. Her name was Agnes Mabel Kennedy and she was a British citizen.
Thanks. I am just on my way to work and will be able to answer in about an hour...
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.Unfortunately, you are not eligible for UK citizenship. This is because citizenship is only permitted to descend from one generation and no further. In certain circumstances your mother may have been able to obtain UK citizenship on the basis of your grandmother but there is no possibility that the same would descend to you. In the circumstances should you wish to relocate to the UK then your best option would be an ancestry visa. This is a visa available to commonwealth citizens (as you are as a Canadian citizen) and is available where a grandparent held UK citizenship. The government link to this visa is on the following site: Your visa would be granted for 5 years if you applied for this and this would allow you to come to the UK, live here for 5 years and immediately apply for work. At the end of the 5 year period you can apply for indefinite leave to remain which is the right to stay permanently in the UK without applying for any further visas. I am sorry that I could not have better news for you, though at least the ancestry visa will be some measure of comfort. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom,Thank you very much for the good work. I appreciate the info.Best regards,Kevin Sands