How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 769
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I'm on a EEA Family Permit married to an EEA National

This answer was rated:

I’m on a EEA Family Permit married to an EEA National (Portuguese).
My Question is:
Upon arrival in the UK, will I need to apply for the EEA2 Residence Card before applying for a National Insurance Number?
Should I first apply for a National Insurance Number and then proceed to apply for the EEA2 Residence Card?
Which is the right way to go about this, as I would like to begin employment as soon as I arrive in the UK.
HelloThank you for your enquiry.In general people tend to apply for NI first. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Franz

Thanks for responding. I did read somewhere that you first need to legally work before applying for NI, being on an EEA family permit/visa will that be possible to apply for NI can I legally work on an EEA family permit?

I've read different views from different it is a bit confusing.


Kind regards


Hello Application for NI is not something immigration lawyers deal with. I am only aware people generally apply for NI first and in your case you are allowed to work as a family member of an EEA national exercising tracy rights. You should go to your local job centre and enquire about making an application for NI.
frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for all your help Frantz

Kind regards


You welcome