How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I am a uk citizen and I was working in Nigeria over a period

Customer Question

I am a uk citizen and I was working in Nigeria over a period of some years and for a period of time my employer refused to let me have my passport back after a new nigerian visa had been obtained.
This prevented my return to UK and I needed to come home for a medical for my diabetes is this an offence?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for contacting
It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Nigeria, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.
At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.
Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not really asking a question about Nigeria. I am asking the question if you are a British Citizen working overseas and let say you gave your passport to your company for them to do the visa for you. Once the visa was done they prevented you from getting your passport back. This cannot be seen to be acceptable after all doesn't the passport although in my name belong to the British Government?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Ok, we will try this in English Law.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Your passport should not be retained by your employer or their agent without your authority and you should contact the British High Commission to complain about this as they may be able to assist you with filing a police complaint in Nigeria so that you get your passport back. You may also ask for an emergency travel document to be issued to you to enable you to return to the UK if your passport is not obtained back in good time. hope this helps