How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Thomas, I would like to ask you about which type of application I should make mo

This answer was rated:

Hi Thomas, I would like to ask you about which type of application I should make for my mother.
My mother has come from Hong Kong in order to help looking after my new born baby. She is currently staying in UK on the 6 months visa free period under the HKSAR passport.
I would like to explore option for her to stay beyond 6 months probably up to 2-3 years. But she will definitely not be staying permanently in UK.
Looking at the government website on the form to use had been confusing, I am wondering which type of application and thus form I should use to achieve my purpose.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.What nationality are you please?What is your own immigration status in the UK? Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thomas,I hold a british citizen passport. I am from Hong Kong. My mum is from Hong Kong as well. But she only has a normal Hong Kong SAR passport.Thanks,
Hi Thanks for your patience. Unfortunately,, if your mother is not in a relationship with an EEA national or foreign national with a leave to remain in the UK then the options for her are very limited. The fact that you are a UK citizen does not help too much in these circumstances. This is because she would only be able to apply on the basis that you are her daughter if she were able to apply for an elderly dependent relative visa: will see under the heading “Coming to be cared for - you’re an adult dependent relative” that in order to be eligible to apply for this you have to show that she would need long term care in order to carry out day to day tasks. So, given that she is physically able to come over and help with your child this is presumably not applicable to her. Therefore the application wpuld be rejected. This means that probably the best thing to do would be for her to apply for a long terms visit visa on a multi entry basis. This can be granted for 2, 5 or 10 years and would allow her to enter/leave the UK as much as she liked probvided that she does not stay more than 6 months in any 12 month period in the UK. I am sorry that the options are thin. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards, Tom
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you