How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 770
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

How should I apply certificate of permanent residence

Customer Question

How should I apply for a certificate of permanent residence and a passport? I came to the UK as a dependant child of an EU worker in 1997, then staid in full time education (school until 2002 then university) once that worker left, thereafter worked at times, studied abroad for a year, came back to the UK for further education then have been self-employed or employed for the last five and a bit years. I just don't know whether to fill in the form as having been sponsored and retained my right of residence or as a qualified person in my own right. Similarly for my sister, who possibly is more complicated as she was in education for 3 years, then left for a bit (I think about six months) and came back for university, after which she worked before having children so has now been not working due to having small children for the last few years (she's married to a Brit).
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you for your enquiry. You may have to apply to evidence a retained right of residency and/or as part of an application for PR provide supporting evidence that you had retained rights for the relevant 5 year period. As you are not an EU national you would not be classed as a qualified person but a family member of an EU national who left but you remained. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am an eu national, sorry I thought it would be obvious I have the same nationalities as my parents.
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 2 years ago.
HelloOk. So you are a qualified person therefore when you fill the form make sure you provide 5 years worth of evidence showing that you have been in the UK either as self employed or employed. If the relevant 5 year period includes when you were a student then you will need to show evidence of having a comprehensive sickness insurance.