How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 840
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

Can I apply British passport? I married an English man

This answer was rated:

Can I apply for a British passport? I married an English man in 1963, lived and worked in the Uk until retirement, still lives there, our daughter was born and educated in the UK and holds a British passport. I have been a widow for 6 years.
I currently hold a French passport as I was born there in 1941.
Thank you
Isabelle Jarvis ***@******.***
HelloThank you for your enquiry. An EEA national who is a worker can become permanently resident in the UK if s/he ceases activity as a worker because of retirement and if resident in the UK for at least 3 years and working for at least a year prior to retirement. To apply for a British passport you would first need to be naturalised as a British citizen. To apply to naturalise you would need to show evidence of being permanently resident in the UK.
frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I know if I am already a British resident? I have had a British passport long ago.
So you already have a British passport?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had one many years ago.i never renewed it and travelled on my French passport.
Ok. Do you still have a copy of your expired British passport? You should be able to apply to renew it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately no!
I am concerned that my husbands death may change my status in the UK.
HelloIf you were already British ( I am assuming you are here because you had a British passport) before your husband's death, your British citizenship should not change.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I find out if I am a British citizen? Thank you
You would need to ring the Home Office nationality service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
You welcome.