How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 771
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I have a friend who wants to come over to visit me couple

Customer Question

I have a friend who wants to come over to visit me for a couple of months from the USA. They are a US citizen. But they also have a conviction, and were only released from prison in January this year. The conviction was for forth degree rape in South Dakota. The crime was that they had sex with their fifteen year old girlfriend, they were eighteen at the time. The offence carried a minimum sentence of five years,nwhich they have served and are no longer on parole. They are however on the sex offenders register in South Dakota. I have looked at the relevant UK law, and here, since the act was consensual, and the girl in question understood and was a willing party to the act, my understanding is that it would not have attracted such a severe penalty here, and would have not attracted a custodial sentence. However I am concerned about the UK border, and whether or not he would be denied entry. I also would like to know what steps can be taken to limit this risk.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you for your enquiry. Non visa nationals e.g citizens of the US do not require a visa to come to the UK to visit for a short period. However, because of the conviction your friend has, which is ancillary to your immigration question your friend may wish to consider making an application for a visa before arrival into the UK. If his application is successful then he should be allowed entry into the UK. Simply turning up at the boarder with no prior entry clearance and expecting entry with a criminal conviction is likely to be refused or at the very least your friend will be subjected to a very long delay with a lot of questions and no guarantee of entry. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.