How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I hold an Indian passport. I travel to India on Indian passport. My

Customer Question

I hold an Indian passport. I travel to India on Indian passport.
My Indian passport is endorsed with "certificate of Entitlement to the right of abode in UK.
Subsequently, I applied for a received UK passport as I have been resident in UK for many years.
I read somewhere recently that, according to UK law that if one is holding a UK passport, it is illegal to have this "certificate of Entitlement to the right of abode in UK" and under these circumstances one needs to apply for a single or multiple entry visa, if the person wishes to travel to India and back on Indian passport.
Is there any way i can keep both passports, but keep visiting India using Indian passport?
I will appreciate your advice on this.
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. There is nothing under UK law which prevents you having dual UK and Indian nationality. Accordingly, once you have a UK passport, you can continue to visit India on an Indian passport and hold Indian citizenship. It is only Indian law which prohibits dual nationality. Under UK law, it is perfectly permissible to have Indian citizenship as well as UK citizenship. You can then decide which passport to use when visiting India. As regards ***** ***** is no prohibition on your Indian passport containing a certificate of entitlement to a right of abode in the UK. However, this cannot appear on your UK passport and by the strict letter of the law, you should not rely upon this certificate to enter the UK once you have an English passport. However, there is nothing to prevent you continuing with the certificate of entitement so as to show this to the Indian authorities whilst using your UK passport to re-enter the UK on your return from india. In this way you can maintain Indian citizenship whilst also having dual UK citizenship.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.