How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 103491
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now

I am a British national. My mother lives in the USA and

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a British national. My mother lives in the USA and has resident alien status. I am very curious as to what options are available to me for working in the USA. I don't have a job offer there so I'm not sure if I need sponsorship first.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. What is your education/employment background, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am self employed as a Manufacturing Engineer and currently studying part time for a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering which finishes in 2017.
Thank you. EmploymentUSA has a lot of visas for employment and it really depends on the type of job offered and the length. Some like L1 are for intercompany transfers. Some like H1B are for long term with ability to file for permanent residency. See HERE for a list of visas, which includes employment visas. The most coveted one is the H1B visa. You can find a list of employers seeking H1B candidates online, such as HERE and HERE for examples. Websites devoted to employment visa jobs are numerous. Engineers are needed in USA, but it is best to wait until one gets the degree. FamilyOne can also have your mother petition based on family. Currently the wait for unmarried sons/daughters 21 or older for lawful residents is about 7 years. Of course the family petition has with it the certainty of lawful permanency, but the wait also applies, whereas with the position, the wait time is much quicker (months) and the right visa can also lead to permanent status. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much.
You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the REPLY or SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
Ely and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you