How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 833
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I am a US Citizen and want to marry a UK Citizen. What do i

This answer was rated:

I am a US Citizen and want to marry a UK Citizen. What do i need to do?
HelloThank you for your enquiry. Is your question in relation to what you need to do to apply for a family based visa so that you can remain in the UK or the procedure in marrying your UK partner in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am in the UK on a visitor visa and need to know what to do in terms of changing my visa status?
Hello Unfortunately the UK immigration rules prohibits an applicant on a visitor's visa from getting married in the UK. Doing so would be in breach of the conditions of your visa. If you wish to marry your UK partner in the UK and remain in the UK, the appropriate visa is a fiancee visa. You would be required to leave the UK to make the appropriate visa. When you arrived into the UK, you would have informed the entry clearance officer that you were here as a tourist visiting the UK and it would have been on that basis that entry clearance was granted to you. You cannot switch from a visitor's visa into a family based visa in country. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you recommend I leave the UK and come back on a marriage visa and then get married?
Hello There is a distinction between a marriage visa and a fiancee visa. A marriage visa only allows you to marry in the UK without the intention of remaining in the UK. A fiancee visa enables you to marry in the UK and remain in the UK but you will still need to meet the requirements under Appendix FM Unfortunately I am not allowed to recommend on JA but only state the law as it stands. Your current visitor's visa prohibits marriage in the UK. Please I would be grateful if you rate before you leave.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So do you recommend a Fiancee Visa or a Marriage Visa. I work in the US but can be transferred by my Company to the UK. Will the Marriage or Fiancee Visa allow me to work in the UK?
Like I have explained the difference between the two types. You will need to decide which one best suits your circumstances. If you are being transferred by your company to the UK to work that is a different scenario and the visa you should consider is a Tier 2 (ICT) visa. I am happy to address further questions when the first has been rated please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first answer was good and made sense. The second answer was confusing in terms of which visa to apply for?
Ok.If you are coming into the UK on the basis of a transfer from your company then the appropriate visa is a Tier 2 (ICT). If you are coming into the UK on the basis of marrying for partner and to remain in the UK permanently then the appropriate visa is a fiancee visa, which you will need to regularise into a family based visa once the marriage has taken place. If you are coming into the UK to get married and leave the UK then the appropriate visa is a marriage visa. A marriage visa does not allow you to work in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. So let me be clear. I am working in the US and can come on a Marriage Visa, get married and come and go freely to the UK but not work. So what will be my Legal Status each and every time I enter the UK. Currently, I enter the UK as a Visitor to the UK?However, If I want to work in the UK then I should apply for the Fiancee Visa and then get married and change my status after I get married and in which case, I can reside and work in the UK?Last but not least, I am a US Passport Holder. By living and working in the UK, does it effect my resident status and can I have dual passport?
No that is not correct. Please read through my answers carefully. The marriage visa is an option for those who wish to enjoy the experience of getting married in the UK. It does not provide a route to come and go as you please. Once you are married under a marriage visa you must leave the UK. If you then wish to visit the UK, you will need to apply for a visitor's visa as normal. The fiancee visa is for people who want to get married in the UK and the settle with their spouse in the UK. Please note any more request for answers can only be responded to when these answers have been rated. I am sorry I am unable to spend anymore time without being rated appropriately.
frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you