How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a uk citizen. i married a portugese citizen in dec 2015.

Customer Question

I am a uk citizen. i married a portugese citizen in dec 2015. now in portugal. How does she get uk citizenship.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Hello,She would need to live in the UK for 5 years first and then apply for permanent residency and once she gets this document to show she is a permanent resident, she may immediately thereafter apply for naturalisation as a British citizen.See here for further information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your response.can I ask what is her status vis a vis entering uk with me? does she need visa? I know at present as a eu citizen she can come with me but if uk leaves the eu what then. she lived in uk from 2008 til December 2015 . does that time count towards the five years or does it have to be consecutive time. can there be breaks in this time? she had effective resident status for benefits when we were in uk. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorrydid you answer my supplementary question? bob b
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
She would have lost her permanent residency status by being away from the UK for more than 2 years, so her clock is reset.If the UK leaves the EU, there will be transitional arrangements to cater for people already here from the EU and it is unlikely that EU nationals already resident here will be kicked out straight away.She may also apply under Domestic UK immigration law for a spouse settlement visa if the UK removes the right to reside for EU nationals.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again. She has only been away from UK from December this year i.e. Dec 12 -2015. Not 2 years. Sorry if this was not clear. Her "clock "w3as 2008 until then with odd two weeks visiting Portugal about twice a year. for the last three years we were living in uk and paying council tax and nat insurance etc. does this still count.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please answer this last point then I can conclude this conversation. regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please answer last point. as we married in uk and lived there til dec 2015, is my lady still in the time frame to get her citizenship?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't intend to close this til you respond to last point. bob b