How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Thomas, I am a British citizen and got married on 27/03/16

This answer was rated:

Hi Thomas, I am a British citizen and got married on 27/03/16 to my wife. She is a Singapore citizen. She is now in the country with me on a 6 month visitors visa.
How can we go about applying for a residence permit or change her visa to a spouse visa? We would like to settle down here. Please advise.
HiHave you lived in the UK in the recent past to date?Do you earn more than £18600 per annum from salaried employment?Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been in the UK since 2004. I was 14 and on a Singapore passport and had indefinite. I then applied for a British passport before I was 18. Between 2012 to 2014 I went to Singapore to serve national service in the fire department. I came back to the UK on 18th October 2014.I currently earn £20k per annum but will be earning £16200 effective May. Would this be an issue?
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Drafting your reply now. 10 mins please..Tom
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you. Your wife will have to return to Singapore in order to make the application from there. This is because she is on a visit visa, so it is a conditoni of this visa that she leaves the UK before it’s expiry and this is taken to mean that she cannot switch visas from within the UK.She will have to apply from a spouse visa. The webpage on spouse visas is here: eligibility criteria is here:- If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:- you and your partner are both aged 18 or over at the date of application;your partner is a British Citizen, or is present and settled in the UK, or is here with refugee leave or humanitarian protection;your partner is not related to you in a way that means you could not marry in UK law;you and your partner have met in person;your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsistingif you are married or in a civil partnership, your marriage or civil partnership is valid in UK law;if you are not married or in a civil partnership you have been living with your partner in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years prior to the date of the application;you meet the suitability requirementsany previous relationship has permanently broken down (this does not apply to certain polygamous relationships);you and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK;You must meet the financial requirement:- means that the UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600. Alternatively, if you have savings of £62, 500.00 then you would not have to prove any salary. You can also use a mix of the two.You would also have to show that you meet the English language requirement:- I assume you do not have savings in excess of £16000 but let me know if you do. Assuming you don’t then you should not let your employment income drop below £18600 per annum because the application will be rejected if you apply after you earn less then £18600 per annumYou have to produce to the Home Office documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-{C}· Bank statements from both you and your spouse going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available{C}· Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment{C}· Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds){C}· Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport{C}· Evidence of correspondence between you and your spouse showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records{C}· Evidence of the accommodation where you will live or that you can afford to accommodate yourselves once here.{C}· {C}· Further information here:- She will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4A Settlement, but the application is actually made online You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:- My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Tom. I have given you a five star rating because you have made it really clear. Do you have any advice on which solicitor to engage? Or just any solicitor from the link?
Hi, Thanks for your rating.I would call solicitors using the previous link. I would ask for a a couple of consultations for free or for a fixed fee and go with the one you feel most confident with.Tom