How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 831
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I have asked a question regarding british citizenship

Customer Question

Hi, i have asked a question regarding british citizenship but i think i have to be more thorough to describe my case.
Georgian national married to italian, living with eea visa for four years in the uk.
1 year before marriage i have applied to marriage certificate to be allowed to get married, there was this approval procedure at that time in 2011. I have certificate granting to give notice to get married in 2011. Got married a year later exactly in 2012, received visa same year.
My question is, will that one year notice period count to make it five before i received the visa after marriage?
There was obviously a year before i got married and home office knew i was in uk.
Will i be able to apply for british citizenship on this basis, or if you think there are any ground i could possibly do this please let me know. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 2 years ago.
Hello To apply for British citizenship, you will need to have a total of 6 years. 5 years establishing continuous residence in the UK under EEA regulations and 12 months permanent residence. Those not married to their EU spouse will need to should evidence of a durable relationship during the relevant period. The Home Office usually apply the 2 year rule for unmarried couples. It is more than likely that the relevant 5 year period will start from when you were married but subject to providing the relevant supporting evidence.