How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 10955
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I need advice on what visas I need to apply my wife

Customer Question

I need advice on what visas I need to apply for for my wife who is a Thai national, and her 5 year old son, we have been together for two years and she has visited the uk on a tourist visa once.
Even though we have been together for two years we have only been married for two months
I know I meet the financial requirements as I earn £46.000 a year and I am living in a 3 bedroom house I also have one son who is 10 year old to my previous partner
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****tian, can you better explain the circumstances. Are you a UK national, or some other nationality? Does you wife ultimately want to take out UK citizenship?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a UK national and my wife would like to come hear to stay and work not necessarily take up UK citizenship as we would like to spend our time between the UK and Thailand eventually
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completed all the documentation for the tourist visa but the next one is confusing me a lot, on the website I looked at about three options all different prices, we know she needs to complete the life in the UK test and I think an English exam
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Dear *****tian, if your wife is in Thailand, then she needs to fill in an application to join family living in the UK. Here is a link to the UK Government website where you will find out how to apply Be aware that if she is in the UK on a tourist visa when she is applying, then she needs to apply under a different heading However, you will be able to apply for a visa for both your wife and her five year old son. The fee for her joining you from Thailand is £1,195 for her. A decision will be made within 12 weeks. As you are probably aware there is an income threshold and as you are above it, there should be no problem. The key point is that you should be able to support your wife and her child.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. YOu will need to supply a copy of your passport, your marriage certificate, her passport and her son's passport. Be aware that this visa gives the right to both live and work in the UK. So your wife will be able to work to support herself should she wish. As you are aware, there is an English test. HOwever, thsi should not be a problem if your wife has English.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.