How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 778
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I am Kenya Citizen born in April 1948. I was holder of British

This answer was rated:

I am Kenya Citizen born in April 1948. I was holder of British Passport Colony and Protectorate of Kenya The passport was issued on 2 Feb 1961 and expired on 1 Feb 1966. The national status nationality of the passport states " BRITISH SUBLECT:CITIZEN OF THE UNITED KINGDOM AND COLONIES"
I had to become Kenya Citizen as Kenya got independence in 1963.Can I qualify to get my British Citizen ship
My father was born in India and was a British Citizen
My mother was born in Kenya and was a British Citizen
They both settled in United Kingdom from 1975.
My email address is***@******.***
HelloThank you for your enquiry.All CUKCs citizens had UK right of abode but as many colonies became independent in 1948, citizens lost their CUCK statuses if they took up citizenship of their country and become British Subjects/commonwealth citizens. During this period the right of abode was withdrawn from certain British Subjects except 1. those born abroad pre 1 January 1983 whose father was registered or naturalised as British before their birth. 2. those born in the UK before 1 January 1983. It is difficult to say for certain if you qualify for British citizenship but it is possible to acquire citizenship as an adult for those who are British subjects. The Home Office has the discretion to register adults as British citizens but you will need to make an application and there is usually a fee. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you