How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am born in UK citizen and permanent resident. My wife of

This answer was rated:

I am born in UK citizen and permanent resident. My wife of ten years holds an Estonian
passport. What are the are the implications of brexit ?
Hi, Thanks for your question. Has your wife exercised her treaty rights (eg. by working/studying/being self-sufficient) in the UK for 5 years?Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks. I should be able to answer by 9.30am.Tom
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.The precise implications for EEA nationals based in the UK are not known in the present time. However, there will doubtless be some transitional arrangements and it is highly unlikely that EEA nations will be required to leave the UK. In particular, because your wife has already been in the UK exercising her treaty rights for five years, she would be regarded as having permanent residence. Permanent residence is the right to remain in the UK without applying for any further residence cards. However, she should strongly consider applying for confirmation of her permanent status now before the referendum. The following link contains guidance on how she can apply and the requirements in terms of what evidence you must submit. If she makes this application before the referendum then there is absolutely no doubt that her status in the UK would be secure. Once she has obtained permanent residence you can review the ultimate implications of the referendum and check to see whether she is then required to apply for naturalisation. If she is required to apply for naturalisation then she can do so by following the guidance on the following page. Basically because she is an EEA citizen who has been in the UK for five years and is also married to you (a UK citizen) her status is not in any serious doubt but it would make practical sense for her to obtain documentary proof in the form of permanent residence as soon as possible but you should note that after she has applied she would have to submit her passport and would ultimately be without this until her permanent residence is decided and there will certainly be a huge increase in applications following the referendum, and quite possibly also in the time leading upto the referendum. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you