How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I've been ere in this country years since 11th January 2014

Customer Question

I've been ere in this country for 2 years since 11th January 2014 I came to this country illegally when I came my cousin help me for 18 months. I never work work in this country coz I was illegal, and I've found a girlfriend, I don't talk to my cousin anymore... my girlfriend helped me with money to rent a house, and she told me to come and stay with her, been her 3 weeks with her and I can't work or do nothing and I want to live and work in this country all my life..what do I do??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
HiWhat nationality is your girlfriend?What is her annual employment income ?Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is British she get less than 1 thousand a month
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will be able to answer at about 930am..Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.I am afraid that you have very few options because you are illegally in the country. Although your girlfriend is British she does not earn above the required £18,600 per year annual income in order to meet the financial requirement so that you could apply for a Visa based on your relationship. Even if she did earn above this amount then you would either have to prove that you have been living together for two years in the same accommodation or you would have to marry her. If she were able to increase her salary to above £18,600 she would have to be in receipt of this income for six months and if you have not lived together for two years you would have to marry her. Even then the Home Office would reject any application you made from within the UK because you do not have legal leave to remain. This means that you would have to return to your home country in order to make the application. If she is able to increase her income above this amount and you have either lived with her for two years or propose to marry her then you could apply for a spouse/unmarried partners visa.The webpage on spouse visas is here: eligibility criteria is here:- Apart from the above there are really no other options for you. The only option would be to apply for asylum but it would have to be a genuine claim. Claiming Asylum is very difficult. In practice only 19 of 100 applications are actually accepted. In order to claim asylum you must show that you have a well founded fear of persecution because of:-{C}§ {C}race;{C}§ {C}religion;{C}§ {C}nationality;{C}§ {C}political opinion; or{C}§ {C}membership of a particular social group. . My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom