How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Is there anyway to fast track a spouse British citizenship

Customer Question

Is there anyway to fast track a spouse British citizenship application? My wife a Philippines national and has the 30 month UK spouse visa, which she received in November 2014, although she has been in UK since June 2014 on a UK family visa. We were married in Singapore in 2012, and have a 2 year old who was born there, and is a British national. I was made redundant in December from a UK oil company, and I now have to work overseas in China, as there is no oil industry work in the UK. When my family moves over to China next month with me, my wife will lose the 2 years already spent in the UK towards gaining British citizenship. Is there anything else we can do? Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.I’m afraid that there is absolutely no flexibility here. To apply for UK citizenship your wife must hold “indefinite leave to remain”.Under your wife’s spouse visa she can only apply for indefinite leave to remain once she has been resident in the UK on her spouse visa for a period of 5 years, obviously this would mean extending her current spouse visa once to reach the requisite 5 years. There are no exceptions or allowances to this part of the criteria. I really am sorry but if your wife leaves the UK to leave outside the UK for a period of time then she will lose the time that she has spent on her current visa and would have to apply for a further spouse visa if you all intended to re-settle in the UK at some point. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom