How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 843
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I have just applied spouse visa husband to join me in the UK

This answer was rated:

I have just applied for a spouse visa for my husband to join me in the UK from Zimbabwe. If we are successful, are there rules about how long he has to stay before we can travel abroad together? or how long he can leave the country for?


Thank you for your enquiry.

I am unaware there are any rules on how long he can stay in the UK before travelling abroad on holiday. But when applying for settlement after 5 years he will need to meet residential requirement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know of any limit to the amount of time he can be out of the country for if we go abroad on holiday after he has come here? And what do you mean by the residential requirement?

I can only answer further questions when you have rated.

frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, I thought it said i can ask further questions on the same topic before i rate you...

He should only be out of the country for short visits. The residency requirement is the number of days you are expected not to have been out of the UK if for example in the future your husband wants to apply for British citizenship. In spousal cases it is no more than 270 days in the last 3 years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we could visit zimbabwe for a month after he has come? or even 6 weeks - as long as he has not been out of the country for more than 90 days each year?

Short visits is acceptable

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does a month count as a short visit?

Depending on how often he makes these visits. But in general 4 weeks holidays are acceptable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, and if it were once a year, would 6 weeks be acceptable?

This is a decision you would have to make based on the information I have already given. If you are concerned you should seek independent legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for your help

You welcome