How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 770
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I have a Certificate of was issued to me

Customer Question

I have a Certificate of was issued to me when I was 10 years old (back in 1995). I was born here in the UK.
Thing is my name on the Certificate of Registration is spelt slightly differently then what is on my Birth Certificate. (Literally there is an E instead it should be an I)
My name on my British passport is the same as my birth my child passport had the same spelling as the Registration certificate. But When I renewed to an adult one in 2004 I used my birth certificate spelling and the passport office just changed my name as it is on my birth certificate ( I never did any deed poll).
About 2 years ago...I sent a request to the home office to correct it, however...I asked a solicitor about it and she told me that I dont even need the certificate of Registration anymore and I should cancel my request. I cancelled my request and everything was sent back to me including the fee refund.
However..I dont know why...Im just feeling paranoid about this...Do I HAVE to amend my name on the certificate? or should I just leave this alone?
I would appreciate anyone advice please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your enquiry.

If you have already been advised by a legally qualified person you should go with their advice.

However it is strange that the Home Office will issue you with an adult British passport on the basis of your birth certificate when in fact it is the certificate of registration which is what entitles you to a British passport. In any event, the Home Office would have asked for any previously held passport and when you submitted your child passport, they should have queried the name. Failing all the safe guards in place, when you spotted the error why didnt you correct immediately rather than waiting 2 years.

The certificate of registration is very important. It is as important as a British birth certificate and it is what entitles you to British citizenship and not the British passport you hold.