How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 843
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I am an EUROPEAN CITIZEN living in the UK then 5 year's..Can

This answer was rated:

I am an EUROPEAN CITIZEN living in the UK for more then 5 year's..Can my Spouse (Fiancé) be my sponsor if I apply for permanent residence?


Thank you for your enquiry.

If you are a European Citizen and have been exercising treaty rights as a qualified person for 5 years or more, the concept of a sponsor does not apply to you in an application for a document certifying permanent residence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in this latest 85 page's application for permanent residence, I don't need to put any of details of my Spouse, as I am a EU citizen (Romanian) .Then why they still asked for it? I am confused between the answer you have provided me and the whole permanent residence aplication. Also , I don't understand the meaning of "been exercising treaty rights as a qualified person "? Can you give me a more explicit answer please?
Kind regards


What I am saying is that your non-EEA spouse cannot be your sponsor as you are the EEA national. You can include your spouse in your application if they also qualify for permanent residence.

The concept of a sponsor originates from UK domestic immigration rules and not EEA regulations. EEA applications refer to a sponsor where a non-family member is deriving a right of residence in the UK from their EEA national. If you are confused about the application process you should seek independent immigration advice.

To qualify for permanent residence you must show that during the 5 year continuous residence period you have been either a student, a worker, a self employed person or a self-sufficient person.

The application may very well ask for your spouse's detail but your spouse cannot be your sponsor. You need to read the guidelines before filling the form.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right,now I understand better and also I can qualify for all the underlined subject's you have mentioned. Also my Spouse is a born UK citizen leaving in the UK since birth...If, and after I also completed my self the 85 page's permanent residence aplication I need or seek more advice can I get in contact directly to your order your company? Also I would like to know a list of prices you charge for such a aplication. Thank you. ***** *****

Thank you. Please could you rate if you will

frantzgregory and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you