How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask chatham-chamber Your Own Question
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11865
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
chatham-chamber is online now

I have moved UK on December 2013 with EEA family permit

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have moved UK on December 2013 with EEA family permit (entry clearance) I am married to a British and we lived in Norway before moving to UK. I got my residence permit (residence card of a Family Member of an EEA National) on 23th July 2014 which is valid until 23th July 2019.
As i am married to a British; i would like to know if different rules apply for naturalization? When will i be eligible for British citizenship application? ( As i know as a partner of British citizen, living in UK for 3 years is enough to apply for citizenship?)
Kind Regards,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.


As an EU Citizen, you will be eligible for naturalisation once you have held permanent residence for a period of at least 12 months.

Therefore, at the end of your current EEA Family Permit you will have to apply for permanent residence. Once you have held permanent residence for at least 12 months, you will become eligible for naturalisation as a UK Citizen.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,